Schools of the Sacred Heart – Board of Trustees
Nicole Morrow, Chair
Yvonne Sandoz Adler, Ph.D., Head of School
Ann Caire, RSCJ
Meg Causey, RSCJ
Dr. Ethel Smith
Mary Pat White, RSCJ
Dr. Adrien Stewart, MD – Trustee Emeritus
Through its Board of Trustees, Schools of the Sacred Heart is accountable to the Society of the Sacred Heart for the ongoing implementation of the Goals and Criteria. The Board’s primary functions include but are not limited to governance policy and fiscal responsibility.
It is the responsibility of the board to elect the Head of School. All members of the Board of Trustees are elected by the Board.
Board of Trustees Standing Committees include: Building & Grounds, Committee on Trustees, Executive, Finance (includes Audit and Investment), Head Support & Evaluation, and Institutional Advancement. The Board of Trustees is the corporate governing body of the School and is accountable to the Roman Catholic Church through the U.S. Provincial of the Society of the Sacred Heart.
Schools of the Sacred Heart is:
• One of 22 Schools of the Sacred Heart in the United States and Canada
• One of 200 Schools of the Sacred Heart around the world
• Partners in the educational Mission of the Society, which is expressed in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools
• Evaluated in that Mission every 5 years through the process we call Sacred Heart Commission on Goals (SHCOG)
The Board of Trustees is responsible for assuring the School lives the Mission as outlined in the Goals and Criteria of Sacred Heart Schools.
The Board is also responsible for:
• Setting major policies
• Setting the strategic direction of the School
• Keeping the School financially sound – approving the budget, approving capital campaigns, overseeing investment managers, approving major facilities projects
• Hiring, supporting and retaining the Head of School
• Supporting the School in all ways, particularly through the communication of the School’s Mission and advancing the stability of the school through philanthropic support.
How are Trustees elected?
• The bylaws permit up to 23 trustees, 3 Religious of the Sacred Heart.
• The Committee on Trustees reviews the needs of the Board in terms of constituency representation, expertise and board experience – nominations mostly come from the committee rosters
• Committee nominations are sought broadly, and may always be offered to the Committee on Trustees
How does the Board do its work?
• Meets approximately 6 to 8 times per year
• Standing committees (and ad hoc task forces as needed) do most of the in depth analysis, then make recommendations to the Board
• Meetings include instruction in and discussion of the Goals and Criteria
• Decisions are made in light of the Goals and Criteria
• Work is directed by the Strategic Plan, which is updated each year, by the ongoing responsibilities of the Board, and by emerging needs of the School