For nearly 200 years, Sacred Heart education has been the leader in Catholic, single-gender education in Acadiana, and it has been our Mission to enrich the lives and hearts of our students and empower them to share their Sacred Heart formation with the world around them. Now, as we are on the cusp of our bicentennial celebration in 2021, we are harkening back to our roots and the call to broaden the reach of our Mission.
In the spirit of the Sacred Heart commitment to building community and removing barriers, we are implementing an innovative new tuition model called Family Individualized Tuition (FIT). FIT is designed to increase access to a high quality Sacred Heart education for academically qualified students who can strengthen our community and advance the mission of the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Berchmans Academy. We understand that each family’s household needs are individualized, so it makes perfect sense that tuition is individualized based upon need and ability, too. In a competitive independent school market, we want to be the top choice for your family!
Choosing the perfect fit for your child’s education is a very personal decision and we understand that many factors, including tuition, contribute to your final decision. In keeping with our Mission, our FIT tuition process individualizes each family’s rate of tuition so that a Sacred Heart education is within reach. As we move through the FIT process to determine your family’s contribution, please know that fairness and confidentiality are at the heart of this process. Our ultimate goal is to enrich our Sacred Heart community and touch the hearts and minds of more students at the Academy and Berchmans. FIT makes this possible!
Family Individualized Tuition Application Process
- The preferred deadline for current families for FIT is February 1, 2021 for the 2021-22 school year. Applications can be submitted as early as October 1, 2020. Eligibility for FIT for new families is ongoing.
- To prepare to apply, collect the required supporting documents: most recent pay stubs and W-2 forms for all jobs; most recently filed tax return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ with all schedules), most recently filed business tax return if applicable, and any supplemental income documentation (social security, child support, 1099M forms, workers’ compensation, unemployment, veterans benefits, etc).
- Visit Financial Aid for School Tuition (FAST) and create an account or log in if you already have an account. Complete the information required by FAST and submit the required documentation. There is a $45 processing fee.
- Once your information is processed, the Academy of the Sacred Heart will receive a recommendation from FAST. Using FAST’s recommendation and all other qualitative information provided by the family, a sustainable rate of tuition will be determined that prioritizes tuition as a top financial commitment but does not exceed your budget.
- If you have questions about FIT, call the Admissions Office at 337.662.7064 or email email@example.com. If you have questions about the FAST application, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1.877.326.FAST.
FIT Frequently Asked Questions
What is Family Individualized Tuition?
Family Individualized Tuition, or FIT, is a flexible tuition model designed to remove barriers for families seeking a Sacred Heart education at the Academy of the Sacred Heart and Berchmans Academy. Just as a Sacred Heart education is tailored to meet the individual needs of each student, FIT tuition tailors tuition to meet the individual needs of each family’s budget. FIT is a part of our Sacred Heart Mission and allows us, in partnership with our families, to build a school community that reflects our entire community in the greater Acadiana area.
I would never qualify, I make too much money.
What should I do? You are not alone! We encourage you to start the conversation and submit an application with FAST. We will review your information and determine a tuition amount that prioritizes a Sacred Heart education at the Academy and Berchmans but still fits within your family’s budget.
Who can be a part of FIT?
If you are applying for admission now or are currently enrolled at the Academy or Berchmans in Kindergarten – 12th Grade, you can participate in FIT. The Academy and Berchmans offer FIT to families from a wide range of socioeconomic backgrounds. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you would like personalized guidance before completing the FIT application.
If I apply for FIT, will it impact my child’s application for admission?
No. The Academy of the Sacred Heart and Berchmans Academy admit students based on academic merit, test scores, and personal qualities.
How do I find out what our individualized tuition will be?
The Academy and Berchmans use a fair and confidential process. We consider many factors as we determine each family’s tuition, including income, assets, liabilities, debts, the number of dependents and children in tuition-charging schools (excluding day care, preschool, and graduate school), and expenses. We will begin with the recommendation of FAST, which is based on the information provided by each family during the FAST application process. We will review the recommendation and all other qualitative information provided by the family and determine a sustainable rate of tuition that prioritizes tuition as a top financial commitment but does not exceed your budget.
Is it possible to appeal our FIT decision?
Yes. We consider all of the relevant information and determine a fair and workable individualized tuition amount. But, sometimes there is more to the story. Once you receive your individualized tuition, you have 14 days to appeal the decision. Please write to the Admissions office to explain your appeal and attach any information that will help the committee to better understand your situation.
Do I need to re-apply for FIT each year?
Yes. We ask families to complete the FAST application each year. Changes in things such as income, family status, and the number of children attending private institutions may result in increases or decreases in the rate of tuition. Each application is reviewed annually.
Are there payment plans available?
Yes. We offer several payment plans:
- One-time payment
- Two-time payment
- Monthly installment plan (requires registration and a low monthly fee). This plan allows parents to spread tuition payments over a 10-month period.
These options are fully explained when you are offered an enrollment contract.