The Academy of the Sacred Heart and Berchmans Academy do not discriminate in the hiring policies on the basis of race, color, religion, or national origin.
Director of the Shrine of St. John Berchmans and Le Petit Musée
About the Position
The Director of the Shrine of St. John Berchmans and Le Petit Musée is the primary contact for all activities in the facility and, with the support of the Provincial Office staff, is responsible for the operations of the facility. The Director reports directly to Donna Collins, rscj.
The Director’s primary responsibilities include:
- Scheduling and giving organized, efficient and safe tours of both the museum and shrine
- Working and acting as a liaison with the Academy of the Sacred Heart, local parishes, and diocese for pilgrimages, visits and other uses of the Shrine
- Coordinating the welcoming of pilgrimage groups visiting the Shrine
- Designing and implementing programs for visitors or educational groups to the museum
- Recruiting, training and supervision of volunteer docents
- Marketing through outreach to other historical sites, the tourist bureau, tour bus companies, schools and the diocese etc. to increase the number of visitors
- Coordination and collaboration with the committee preparing for the Academy’s bicentennial celebrations (2019 – 2021)
- Maintenance and preparation of a budget for the Shrine of St. John Berchmans and Le Petit Musée
- Oversight of the facility, ensuring regular maintenance and submitting requests for needed upgrades to display areas
- Working with Donna Collins, rscj to update or change any of the displays within Le Petit Musée
- Working with provincial finance and mission advancement staff to coordinate payment of invoices and processing of donations
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role or have a skill set that would translate into this role. Preference will be given to a candidate who has experience and familiarity with the Sacred Heart charism and traditions and has worked with a religious congregation. Other qualifications required include:
- A minimum of an associate’s degree
- Ability to work independently without regular supervision
- Ability to recall historical information and answer visitors questions
- Ability to be problem-solver and team player
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Polished and professional presence
- Ability to work with people of all ages and abilities
- Willingness to work some weekend hours, as necessary, and travel to locations within St. Landry Parish
- Ability to drive and have own car
- Ability to use Word and Excel
- Ability to lift and carry at least 25 lbs.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
The position of Director of the Shrine of St. John Berchmans and Le Petit Musée is envisioned as a part-time position of approximately 20 – 25 hours a week. The specific hours and days that the Museum and Shrine will be open to the public have yet to be determined with the school. However, some bus tours request Saturday and applicants for this position need to be aware of the need to be available for some hours on Saturday. The salary, dependent on the number of hours per week, could be up to $26,000
The successful applicant need not currently have a thorough knowledge of the Academy’s history but would be expected to undergo training and engage in on-going formation to be able to provide interesting and enlightening tours.
Persons interested in applying for the position should send their resume to Donna Collins, rscj firstname.lastname@example.org by October 28, 2019.